chunk_id
stringlengths 3
9
| chunk
stringlengths 1
100
|
---|---|
60_7
|
non-German Anglo names.
|
60_8
|
Gillespie County comprises the Fredericksburg, TX Micropolitan Statistical Area.
|
60_9
|
History
|
60_10
|
Early native inhabitants were the Tonkawa, Comanche, Kiowa, and Lipan Apache peoples. In 1842, the
|
60_11
|
Adelsverein organized in Germany to promote emigration to Texas. The Fisher–Miller Land Grant set
|
60_12
|
aside three million acres (12,000 km2) to settle 600 families and single men of German, Dutch,
|
60_13
|
Swiss, Danish, Swedish, and Norwegian ancestry in Texas.
|
60_14
|
Henry Francis Fisher sold his interest in the land grant to the Adelsverein in 1844. Prince Carl of
|
60_15
|
Solms-Braunfels secured the title to of the Veramendi grant the next year, including the Comal
|
60_16
|
Springs and River, for the Adelsverein. Thousands of German immigrants were stranded at port of
|
60_17
|
disembarkation, Indianola, on Matagorda Bay. With no food or shelters, living in holes dug into the
|
60_18
|
ground, an estimated 50% die from disease or starvation. The living began to walk to their
|
60_19
|
destinations hundreds of miles away. About 200 German colonists, who walked from Indianola, founded
|
60_20
|
the town of New Braunfels at the crossing of the San Antonio-Nacodoches Road on the Guadalupe
|
60_21
|
River. John O. Meusebach arrived in Galveston. The first wagon train of 120 settlers arrived from
|
60_22
|
New Braunfels. Surveyor Hermann Wilke laid out the town. Meusebach named it Fredericksburg, in
|
60_23
|
honor of Prince Frederick of Prussia.
|
60_24
|
In 1847, the Meusebach–Comanche Treaty was made. About 150 settlers petitioned the Texas
|
60_25
|
Legislature to establish a new county, suggested names "Pierdenales" or "Germania". The Vereins
|
60_26
|
Kirche became the first public building in Fredericksburg. It served as a nondenominational church,
|
60_27
|
school, town hall, and fort. Locals referred to it as “the Coffee Mill Church” for its shape.
|
60_28
|
Wilhelm Victor Keidel was the county's first doctor. Mormon leader Lyman Wight founded the
|
60_29
|
community of Zodiac.
|
60_30
|
The Legislature formed Gillespie County from Bexar and Travis Counties in 1848. They named it after
|
60_31
|
Tennessee transplant Capt. Robert Addison Gillespie, a hero of the 1846 Battle of Monterrey in the
|
60_32
|
Mexican–American War. Fredericksburg became the county seat.
|
60_33
|
Fort Martin Scott was established in 1848 at Barons Creek, a Pedernales tributary.
|
60_34
|
An angry mob of soldiers burned down the store-courthouse in 1850, destroying all county records.
|
60_35
|
The melee apparently started when County Clerk John M. Hunter, who also owned the store, refused to
|
60_36
|
sell whiskey to a soldier. Words were exchanged, and Hunter stabbed the soldier; about 50 soldiers
|
60_37
|
stormed and burned the store, destroying all contents. Soldiers prevented townspeople from saving
|
60_38
|
the county records.
|
60_39
|
John O. Meusebach was elected to the Texas Senate in 1851 to represent Bexar, Comal, and Medina
|
60_40
|
Counties, and in 1854, received a special appointment as commissioner from Governor Elisha M. Pease
|
60_41
|
to issue land certificates to those immigrants of 1845 and 1846 who had been promised them by the
|
60_42
|
Adelsverein. The Texas State Convention of Germans met in San Antonio and adopted a political,
|
60_43
|
social, and religious platform, including: Equal pay for equal work, direct election of the
|
60_44
|
President of the United States, abolition of capital punishment, "Slavery is an evil, the abolition
|
60_45
|
of which is a requirement of democratic principles", free schools – including universities –
|
60_46
|
supported by the state, without religious influence, and total separation of church and state.
|
60_47
|
In 1852, Bremen seaman Charles Henry Nimitz, grandfather of Fleet Admiral Chester Nimitz, built the
|
60_48
|
Nimitz Hotel in Fredericksburg. In 1870, he added a steamboat-shaped façade.
|
60_49
|
Surveyor Jacob Kuechler was commissioned as a captain by Sam Houston to enroll state militia troops
|
60_50
|
in Gillespie County. Texas seceded from the Union in 1861, and joined the Confederate States of
|
60_51
|
America, and Houston was dismissed from office in March by the Confederacy. Gillespie County voted
|
60_52
|
400 -17 against secession from the Union. Unionists from Kerr, Gillespie, and Kendall Counties
|
60_53
|
participated in the formation of the Union League, a secret organization to support President
|
60_54
|
Abraham Lincoln's policies. Kuechler signed up only German Unionists in his frontier company, and
|
60_55
|
was dismissed by Governor Francis R. Lubbock.
|
60_56
|
In 1862, 54 Gillespie County men joined the Confederate Army. Eventually, 300 enlisted with the CSA
|
60_57
|
to avoid conscription. The Union League formed companies to protect the frontier against Indians
|
60_58
|
and their families against local Confederate forces. Conscientious objectors to the military draft
|
60_59
|
were primarily among Tejanos and Germans. Confederate authorities imposed martial law on Central
|
60_60
|
Texas. The Nueces massacre occurred in Kinney County. Jacob Kuechler served as a guide for 61
|
60_61
|
conscientious objectors attempting to flee to Mexico. Scottish-born Confederate irregular James
|
60_62
|
Duff and his Duff's Partisan Rangers pursued and overtook them at the Nueces River; 34 were
|
60_63
|
killed, some executed after being taken prisoner. Jacob Kuechler survived the battle. The cruelty
|
60_64
|
shocked the people of Gillespie County. About 2,000 took to the hills to escape Duff's reign of
|
60_65
|
terror.
|
60_66
|
The Treue der Union Monument ("Loyalty to the Union") in Comfort was dedicated in 1866 to the
|
60_67
|
Texans slain at the Nueces massacre. It is the only monument to the Union other than the National
|
60_68
|
Cemeteries on Confederate territory. It is one of only six such sites allowed to fly the United
|
60_69
|
States flag at half-mast in perpetuity. Spring Creek Cemetery near Harper in Gillespie County has a
|
60_70
|
singular grave with the names Sebird Henderson, Hiram Nelson, Gus Tegener, and Frank Scott. The
|
60_71
|
inscription reads “Hanged and thrown in Spring Creek by Col. James Duff’s Confederate Regiment.”
|
60_72
|
Kiowa raiders massacred residents of the McDonald farm in the Harper vicinity in 1864. During 1865,
|
60_73
|
Gillespie County suffered a war-time crime wave, as 17 individuals were convicted of murder.
|
60_74
|
In 1870, Herman Lehmann and his brother Willie were captured by Apaches, but Willie escaped within
|
60_75
|
days. Herman Lehmann, escorted by soldiers, was finally returned to his family in 1878.
|
60_76
|
In 1881, Gillespie County became the first county in Texas to hold a fair.
|
60_77
|
From 1874 to 1875, Andreas Lindig built the county's first lime kiln.
|
60_78
|
The original Gillespie County Courthouse was constructed in 1882; it later became the Pioneer
|
60_79
|
Memorial Library.
|
60_80
|
Chester W. Nimitz, future Commander in Chief, United States Pacific Fleet, was born in 1885 in
|
60_81
|
Fredericksburg. His father, Chester B. Nimitz, died before his birth, leaving his seaman
|
60_82
|
grandfather as role model.
|
60_83
|
John O. Meusebach died at his farm at Loyal Valley in Mason County on May 27, 1897, and was buried
|
60_84
|
in the Marschall Meusebach Cemetery at Cherry Spring.
|
60_85
|
In 1908, future President of the United States Lyndon B. Johnson was born in a small farmhouse on
|
60_86
|
the Pedernales River. Johnson became the Vice President of the United States in 1961 and
|
60_87
|
subsequently President of the United States. His ranch at Stonewall was known as the Texas
|
60_88
|
Whitehouse. Tourism became an important industry. Ranch Road 1 was designated in 1963. On January
|
60_89
|
22, 1973, President Johnson died at his Stonewall ranch. He, and later Lady Bird Johnson, were laid
|
60_90
|
to rest at the family cemetery on the ranch.
|
60_91
|
The Gillespie County Historical Society was formed in 1934, and the Pedernales Electric Cooperative
|
60_92
|
was formed to provide rural electrification four years later.
|
60_93
|
In 1948, the county began its annual Easter Fire event to commemorate the Meusebach treaty signing.
|
60_94
|
Admiral Nimitz died February 20, 1966. The next February, the Fleet Admiral Chester W. Nimitz
|
60_95
|
Memorial Naval Museum opened in the old Nimitz Hotel on Main Street in Fredericksburg.
|
60_96
|
The Japanese Garden of Peace, a gift from the people of Japan, was dedicated on the 130th
|
60_97
|
anniversary of the founding of Fredericksburg at the Nimitz Museum on May 8, 1976. In 1981, the
|
60_98
|
state legislature placed the Nimitz Museum under Texas Parks and Wildlife Department as the
|
60_99
|
National Museum of the Pacific War.
|
60_100
|
The State of Texas opened Enchanted Rock State Natural Area after adding facilities in 1984. That
|
60_101
|
same year, it is also added to the National Register of Historic Places,
|
60_102
|
The Texas White House officially opened to the public August 27, 2008. In 2009, the George H. W.
|
60_103
|
Bush Gallery opened at the Nimitz museum.
|
60_104
|
Geography
|
60_105
|
According to the U.S. Census Bureau, the county has a total area of , of which is land and (0.3%)
|
60_106
|
is water.
|
Subsets and Splits
No community queries yet
The top public SQL queries from the community will appear here once available.